Ferdinando Bosi received his PhD from Sapienza Rome University in 2001. He was a post-doctoral researcher first at Sapienza University and later at the Swedish Museum of Natural History (Stockholm, Sweden). He returned to Rome in 2008 to take up an academic position at the Department of Earth Sciences (Sapienza University) where he currently works as a professor/researcher of mineralogy and crystallography. Since 2010, he is the leader of the single-crystal X-ray diffraction laboratory, Sapienza University. Bosi's main research focuses on systematic and crystal-chemical aspects of minerals from an experimental and theoretical viewpoint. For his work on tourmalines and spinels, the mineral bosiite was named after him in 2015. Since April 2021, Bosi is a member of the Commission for New Minerals, Nomenclature and Classification of the International Mineralogical Association (IMA-CNMNC).
- MSc in Geological Sciences. Sapienza Rome University.
- Qualification as a Professional Geologist. G. D’Annunzio Chieti University.
- PhD in Earth Sciences. Sapienza Rome University. Thesis in Mineralogy.
- Guest Researcher for 10 months at the Department of Geosciences, Swedish Museum of natural History, Stockholm, Sweden (2014).
- Co-chairman for the organization of the 8th European Conference on Mineralogy and Spectroscopy (ECMS 2015), Rome, 2015.
- Scientific board member for the II International Conference on Tourmaline, Nové Město na Moravě, Czech Republic, 2017.
- Co-chairman for the organization of the III International Conference on Tourmaline “TUR2021”,, Elba Island, Italy, 2021.
Recent Invited talks
- Department of Erath Sciences, Uppsala University, Sweden (2015).
- II International Conference on Tourmaline, Nové Město na Moravě, Czech Republic (2017).
- Department of Mineralogy and Crystallography, University of Vienna (2018).
- XIX International Meeting on Crystal Chemistry, X-Ray Diffraction and Spectroscopy of Minerals. Apatity, Russia (2019).
- Regional Centre of Advanced Technologies and Materials. Olomouc, Czech Republic (2019).
- Department of Geological Sciences, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic (2019).
- III National Conference Diamond and Color Gems, Bari (2021).
- XLIX Meeting of the Italian Crystallographic Association, Parma (2021).
- Mineral crystal chemistry, with particular regard to tourmalines and spinels.
- Mineral classification and nomenclature.
- The chemical bond in inorganic solids.
- Physical properties of solid-state materials.
- Gem quality minerals.
Author and co-author of more 100 peer-reviewed publications. Proposal approved by the IMA-CNMNC: about 30 new minerals; classification and nomenclature of the spinel-supergroup and tetrahedrite-group minerals; and guidelines for the mineral identification on the basis of the chemical formula.
- Guest editor for the European Journal of Mineralogy (2016, Vol. 28, No. 3)
- Associate editor for the American Mineralogist, Mineralogical Society of America (2013-2016).
- Associate editor for the Mineralogical Magazine, Mineralogical Society of Great Britain & Ireland (since 2018).
- Member of the editorial board of Minerals (MDPI), Open Access Journal (since 2019)
- Mineralogy (I year, Bachelor’s degree in Technology for the Conservation of Cultural Heritage).
- Mineralogy (II year, Bachelor’s degree in Natural Science).
- Characterization of minerals (I year, Master’s degree in Exploration Geology).
List of papers in Google Scholar