- 1986: Laurea degree cum laude Geological Sciences, University of Rome-Sapienza, with Volcanology Thesis;
- 1988-91: PhD course in Earth Sciences, University of Rome-Sapienza. Two-month Research period at Los Alamos National Laboratory (NM, USA);
- 1992: PhD Earth Sciences at Sapienza, after defense of Volcanology dissertation on the Dynamics of pyroclastic flow emplacement in light of the Latera (Vulsini) volcanic successions (p. 341).
- 1991-2001: University Researcher at Earth Science Department, University of Rome-Sapienza;
- since 2001: Associate Professor (GEO/08-Geochemistry and Volcanology) at Earth Science Department, University of Rome-Sapienza (full time activity regime);
- 2017: Achievement of “Abilitazione Scientifica Nazionale”-2016 for the role of Full Professor (area 04/A1).
- Main research fields: physical volcanology, geology of volcanic terrains, tephrochronology, magmatology. Research focuses on the following aspects, through the integration of field and laboratory investigations, theoretical modeling and laboratory experiments:
- Reconstruction of eruptive history of volcanoes: field survey of volcanic terrains; geology, stratigraphy, geochronology, petrology, geochemistry and isotope geochemistry of volcanic terrains; tephrostratigraphic correlations of Quaternary volcanics, with implications for paleoclimatological and sea level reconstructions;
- Dynamics of explosive eruptions: origin and emplacement mechanisms of pyroclastic currents; eruptive parameters of Plinian eruptions; processes of magma vesiculation and fragmentation; role of volatiles on explosive eruptions: explosive magma-H2O interaction; CO2-driven mafic eruptions;
- Volcanic-structural evolution of caldera systems and maar-diatremes; dynamics of caldera-forming eruptions;
- Origin and evolution of: Quaternary Roman-Campanian potassic magmatism; Miocene calc-alkaline magmatism of W Sardinia; Etnean magmatism;
- Hazard and Risk assessment of volcanic areas (Somma-Vesuvius, Campi Flegrei, Colli Albani, Monti Sabatini, Etna), from eruptive activities and volcano instabilities, in light of geologic, volcanologic, petrologic, geochemical, geochronologic, geotechnical, and geoarchaeological evidence and of numerical modeling; hazard evaluation from fibrous minerals in the Etnean area;
- Parametrization of eruptive and conduit dynamics of Strombolian activity (Stromboli, Yasur) by analyses of high-speed and thermal cameras, acoustic measurements and laboratory experiments;
- Time-space distribution of global volcanic activity and cause and effect relationships with astronomical and climate factors; tidal modulation of volcanic and seismic activities.
Roman and Campanian Provinces (Vulsini, Vico, Sabatini, Colli Albani, Valle Latina, Campi Flegrei, Somma-Vesuvius), Etna, Eolian Islands (Vulcano, Stromboli), Sardegna (Sant'Antioco), Hellenic Arc (Santorini, Kos), Indonesia (Una Una, Sangiang, Bali), Vanuatu (Yasur); distal tephra settings: Fucino, Sulmona, Ohrid.
- 2009-2012: Responsible for the Geodynamics-Volcanology Section of the Earth Science Department;
- 2012-2014: Coordinator of Laurea Magistrale Geologia di Esplorazione;
- 2000-2006 and 2009 to present: Member of the Collegio dei Docenti (PhD Board) of the Earth Science PhD Course of Sapienza-Università di Roma;
- Member of Department commissions;
- President/member for PhD final exams (Sapienza-Roma, Roma Tre, Napoli-Federico II) and for open competitive exams for University Researcher, qualification to the profession of Geologist, and positions at national research institutes (e.g., INGV, CNR).
Member of IAVCEI (International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior) and of IAVCEI-Commission on Explosive Volcanism, IAVCEI-Commission on Collapse Calderas.
Member of AIV (Associazione Italiana di Vulcanologia) and GNP (Gruppo Nazionale di Petrografia).
- Section Editor-Volcanology for Periodico di Mineralogia (ISSN: 0369-8963); - Member of Editorial Board of Journal of Mediterranean Earth Sciences (ISSN: 2037-2272);
- Referee for Volcanology journals (e.g., Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, Bulletin of Volcanology, Scientific Reports, etc.).
- Geology of volcanic terrains, field volcanology (Master Degree in “Engineering, Territory and Risk Geology")
- Volcanology (Master Degree in “Engineering, Territory and Risk Geology")
- Geology of volcanic terrains, field volcanology (Master Degree in “Exploration Geology")
- Volcanology (Master Degree in “Exploration Geology")