SCARASCIA MUGNOZZA Gabriele
- 1985: Graduated cum laude in Geological Sciences at University of Rome "La Sapienza".
- 1987: Two fellowships granted by CNR, “Comitato per le Scienze Geologiche”.
- 1990: Ph.D. in Earth Sciences - Engineering Geology, at University of Rome "La Sapienza".
- 1993: Fellowship granted by DAAD (Programma Villa Vigoni) for a research visit at the Institute for Rock Mechanics - Technical University of Aachen (Germany).
- 1994: Fellowship granted by Japan Society for the Promotion of Sciences” as a visiting researcher (visit 1 year long) at the Disaster Prevention Research Institute - University of Kyoto (Japan).
- 1991 – 2000: Researcher at University of Rome "La Sapienza".
- 2000 – 2004: Associate Professor at University of Rome "La Sapienza".
- Since 2005: Full Professor at University of Rome "La Sapienza".
My research activity has been focused on engineering geology addressed at geohazard assessment, risk mitigation, interaction between geology and constructions, hydrogeology.
Specific research topics are:
- Landslide hazard and risk assessment;
- Landslide monitoring;
- Soil and rock characterization, also as radioactive waste repository;
- Seismic hazard assessment and microzonation investigations;
- Soil/rock-structure interactions;
- Groundwater management.
Apennines, Eastern Alps, Japan, Armenia, Central Asia, Canada
- 2004-2010: Coordinator of the Master course in Engineering Geology, Land Use Planning and Risks at University “La Sapienza”.
- November 2010 – October 2016: Head of the Department of Earth Sciences (University “La Sapienza”).
- February 2013 – March 2017: Deputy President of the National Committee on Major Risks -Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri – Dipartimento della Protezione Civile.
- May 2013 – April 2015: Italian delegate in the Task 2 of the Global Science Forum-OECD (Quality of Science for Policy Reports and Consequences for the Role and Responsibility of Scientists); partecipated in the report “Scientific Advice for Policy Making: the role and responsibility of expert bodies and individual scientists”.
- Since November 2014 I am Vicerector at University “La Sapienza”.
- February 2015 - January 2018: President of the Center for Seismic Microzonation which is ruled by the Department of Earth and Environment of CNR.
- Since October 2016 I am member of the Committee of Geotechnical Engineering for reviewing the Technical Bill for Buildings (NTC 2016) at the Consiglio Superiore dei Lavori Pubblici, Ministry of Infrastructures and Trasportations.
- Since November 2017: President of the National Committee on Major Risks -Presidenza del Consiglio dei Ministri – Dipartimento della Protezione Civile.
- Since November 2020, Director of CERI, Interdepartmental Research Centre on Geological Risks.
AIGA (Italian Association of Engineering Geology), SGI (Italian Geological Society), SIG (Italian Society of Tunnels)
Active Research Contracts
- P.I. of a Research Contract with Dipartimento degli Affari Regionali e le Autonomie della Presidenza Consiglio Ministri (2016-2021).
- P.I. of a Research Contract with “Polo Museale del Lazio” (2019-2021).
- P.I. of a Research Contract with “Parco Archeologico del Colosseo” (2020-2021).
- P.I. of a Research Contract with “Autorità di Bacino Distrettuale Appennino Centrale” per la riperimetrazione delle aree a pericolosità di frana elevata e molto elevata che inteferiscono con la ricostruzione nell’area del terremoto 2016-2017.
- Editor in chief della rivista Italian Journal of Engineering Geology and Environment (http://www.ijege.uniroma1.it/), edita dal CERI - Sapienza [ISSN 2035-5688 (on-line) ISSN 1825-6635 (print)]
- Referee of the following Int. Journals : Landslides (Springer), Bulletin of Engineering Geology and Environment (Springer), Environmental Geology (Springer), Earth Surface Landform and Processes (Wiley & Sons), Engineering Geology (Elsevier), Engineering Failure Analysis (Elsevier), Geomorphology (Elsevier), Natural Hazards & Earth Science System (European Geosciences Union).
- Rilevamento e Cartografia Geologico-Tecnica
- Rischi Geologici
List of papers in Google Scholar
Citations: 1444; h-index 23 (from Scopus May 2021).
Website of the Professor: