Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) at the Department of Earth Sciences of “Sapienza” University of Rome and lecturer of Remote Sensing (MSc) and Geological Risks (BSc). Co-founder and CEO of NHAZCA S.r.l., spin-off of the “Sapienza” University of Rome since 2009. MSc in Geology at the University of Florence in 2005 and PhD in Earth Sciences at the “Sapienza" University of Rome in 2009. Visiting researcher at the International Centre for Geohazards (Norway) in 2008. Organizer and director of the “International course on geotechnical and structural monitoring” (www.geotechnicalmonitoring.com) since 2013.
Author of about 120 scientific papers in international journals and conference proceedings concerning: a) engineering geology (landslides, subsidences, settlements, snow avalanches); b) geological remote sensing; c) geotechnical and structural monitoring; d) monitoring by ground based and satellite radar; e) monitoring of civil structures and infrastructures, including cultural heritages; f) geotechnical assets management.
- 2005 Master’s Degree in Geological Sciences
- 2009 PhD in Earth Sciences (visiting PhD student in 2008 at the International Center for Geohazards – Oslo, Norway)
- 2019-now: Assistant Professor (Cat.B) at the Department of Earth Sciences of “Sapienza” University of Rome
- 2010-now: Co-Founder and CEO of NHAZCA S.r.l., spinoff “Sapienza” University of Rome
- 2017-2019: Assistant Professor (Cat.A) at the Department of Earth Sciences of “Sapienza” University of Rome
- 2009-2017: Post-Doc Researcher at the Department of Earth Sciences of “Sapienza” University of Rome
- 2005-2009: Head of “Radar Monitoring” at IMG S.r.l.
- Analyses and monitoring of gravity induced geological and geomorphological processes (landslide, settlement, subsidence, sinkhole);
- Remote Sensing monitoring of ground and structural deformations;
- Satellite and Terrestrial Radar monitoring;
- Analyses and Monitoring of Cultural Heritages;
- Geotechnical Asset Management for large infrastructures.
Awards and honors
- 2011: Winner of the prize “Young Field Measurement in GeoMechanics Engineers Award”, Berlin, Germany.
- 2011: Winner of the third prize at the poster slam of the conference “Field Measurement in GeoMechanics”, Berlin, Germany.
- 2020: Winner of the AIGA (Associazione Italiana Geologia Applicata e Ambientale) prize for the best teaching contribution
- Member of Committee 4.3 “Earthworks” del PIARC (World Road Association) (2020 – now)
- Member of the Technical Committee 220 “Field Monitoring in Geomechanics” dell’ISSMGE (International Society on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering) (2019 – now)
- Member of the AIGAA (Associazione Italiana Geologia Applicata e Ambientale) (2018 – now)
- Member of the Engineering Geology Committee del Transportation Research Board (USA) (2017 – now)
Scientific responsibility of recent Research Projects
- Leader of the ASI (Italian Space Agency) project “MUSAR - Data Fusion & Smart Automatic Classification of Satellite Multisensor/Multiband SAR and Optical Data” (2021-2022)
- Leader of the ARTES project ESA (European Space Agency) “SMART GAM (Geotechnical Asset Management)” (2021-2022)
- Leader of the Project Università di Roma “Sapienza” H2020 “Infrared Monitoring of Landslides Impacting on Railways and Roads Through Fog, Rain and Darkness” (2020-2022)
- Leader of the Project Università di Roma “Sapienza” 2017 “Analyses of Geological Risks impacting on large dams by integrating remote sensing and augmented reality” (2019-2020)
- Leader of prokect Regione Lazio KET-Tecnologie Abilitanti denominato “MARIIS - All-Weather Monitoring of Hydrogeological risks along Highways and Railways infrastructures” (2018-2019)
- Leader of the project (PNRA) denominato “ENIGMA: modEllizzazione geofisica del Boulder Clay Glacier Northern Foothills e studio biologico e bioGeochimico preliminare dei suoi laghi glaciali”. Coordinatore: Dott. Stefano Urbini (2017-2020)
Scientific responsibility of recent Research contracts
- Scientific Leader of the contract with Autorità di Bacino Distrettuale Appennino Centrale “Revisione degli areali a pericolosità da frana elevata P3 e molto elevata P4 delle aree PAI interagenti con le previsioni di ricostruzione nei Comuni interessati dagli eventi sismici verificatisi a far data dal 24 agosto 2016-2017” – Sub Progetto 1 InSAR Monitoring (2021-2023)
- Scientific Leader of the contract with Parco Nazionale delle Foreste Casentinesi Monte Falterona e Campigna denominata “Predisposizione del dossier di candidatura a "geoparco" del Parco Nazionale delle Foreste Casentinesi Monte Falterona e Campigna” (2018)
- 2019 – now: Member of the editorial board of Remote Sensing scientific journal
- 2017 – now: Member of the editorial board of Italian Journal of Engineering Geology and the Environment
- 2010 – now: Reviewer of the following international scientific journals: Sensors, Italian Journal of Engineering Geology and the Environment, Applied Geophysics, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, International Journal of Digital Earth, Landslides, Remote Sensing of Environment, Sensors, European Journal of Remote Sensing, Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, Natural Hazards, Bulletin of Engineering Geology
- Remote Sensing (II year - I semester MSc in Engineering Geology)
- Geological Hazards– (II year-II semester BSc in Geology)
List of papers in IRIS
Citations: 798; h-index 15 (source: Scopus, updated to April 2021).