- 1981 Graduated in Geological Sciences at SAPIENZA University of Rome,
- 1992 Ph.D. in Earth Sciences
- 1992-1994 Post-Doctoral Scholarship
- 1995-2004 Researcher at SAPIENZA University of Rome
- 2004-2007 Associate Professor at SAPIENZA University of Rome, Department of Earth Sciences, Stratigraphy and Sedimentology section
- 2007 – ongoing Full Professor at SAPIENZA University of Rome, Department of Earth Sciences, Stratigraphy and Sedimentology section
Convener and Chairman at several congresses, he has participated and presented research results in nearly 80 congresses. He has more than 70 publications in journals, 5 articles in books, over 100 abstracts presented at conferences and various technical reports for public bodies and oil companies. He has held several conferences and seminars and has been a field trip leader in numerous field excursions associated with national and international congresses. He played the role of analyst and director in charge of some geological sheets of the Italian Geological Survey; He was also the editor of the Earth Sciences items for the encyclopaedia “La Piccola Treccani" of the Institute of the Italian Encyclopaedia. Since 2017, but also previously, he has been an associate researcher at the Institute of Environmental Geology and Geoengineering of the CNR.
- 1981 Degree in Geological Science
- 1992 Ph.D. in Earth Sciences
- 1994 Post Doc in Earth Sciences
- 1995-2004: University Research - SAPIENZA University of Rome,
- 2004-2007: Associate Professor - SAPIENZA University of Rome
- 2007-ongoing: Full professor - SAPIENZA University of Rome
- Facies analysis and sequence stratigraphy of the terrigenous depositional systems and, subordinately of the carbonate and mixed systems.
- Analysis of the processes active during the fluvio-deltaic and turbidite sedimentation in foreland and extensive basins.
- Behavior of turbidite currents in the generation of channel and lobe systems in confined basins.
- The sand compositional analysis as a tool for the sequence stratigraphic interpretation of siliciclastic terrigenous successions.
- Relationships between sedimentary processes and taphonomy characteristics of vertebrate fossil assemblages.
- Multiscale characterization of the Tiber delta Pleistocene-Holocene deposits, as depositional analog for hydrocarbon reservoirs.
- Provenance study of the central and southern Messinian turbidite sandstones (Laga Flysch, Salto-Tagliacozzo Flysch, Agnone Flysch).
- The deltaic deposits connected to hyper- and hypopychnal flows: the example of the Tiber Delta.
- The depositional architecture and physical stratigraphy of the Palatine Hill (Rome), in the context of the Middle-Pleistocene evolution of the Roman Basin.
- Depositional setting and paleogeographic evolution of the Salento Peninsula from the Late Cretaceous to the present.
- The facies analysis of sandstone as a tool for the characterization and enhancement of mining activities.
- The late Pleistocene and Holocene evolution of the Mesopotamian Plain (Iraq).
- Italy: Latium area, northern, central and southern Apennines, Salento Peninsula
- France: Northern Corsica
- Spain: central-southern Pyrenees
- Iraq: Southern Mesopotamia
Awards and honors
- Reviewer Certificate, year 2020, awarded by Wiley and by the Editors of Sedimentlogy for serving as a reviewer for the journal.
- Honorary Member of the Società Romana di Scienze Naturali since December 2018.
- Certificate of Reviewing, year 2017, awarded by Elsevier and by the Editors of Marine and Petroleum Geology in recognition of the review made for the journal.
- Certificate for Highly Cited Research in Sedimentary Geology in recognition of the contribution to the quality of the journal made by: The transition from wave-dominated estuary to wave-dominated delta: The Late Quaternary stratigraphic architecture of Tiber River deltaic succession (Italy). The Editors of Sedimentary Geology, December 2016.
- Certificate of Outstanding Contribution in Reviewing, October 2016, awarded by Elsevier and by the Editors of Marine and Petroleum Geology in recognition of the contributions made to the quality of the journal.
- Certificate of Reviewing, year 2015, awarded by Elsevier and by Editors of Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science in recognition of the review made for the journal.
- Certificate of Reviewing, year 2014, awarded by Elsevier and by Editors of Marine and Petroleum Geology in recognition of the review made for the journal.
- International Association of Sedimentologists (IAS).
- Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM).
- Società Geologica Italiana, GeoSed section.
- Società Romana di Scienze Naturali.
- National Geographic Society (NGS).
- Former member of American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG).
- Former member of the Istituto Italiano di Paleontologia Umana,
Active Research Project
- 2019-2022. Surface and subsoil data analysis of the Neogenic-Quaternary deposits of the Lazio-Abruzzo sector through the interpretation of seismic sections, and 2D and 3D reconstruction of significant geological surfaces and bodies for the description of subsurface models aimed at defining geological hazards. Project between the Department of Earth Sciences, SAPIENZA University of Rome and the Institute of Environmental Geology and Geoengineering, CNR.
- 2017-2022. Sand composition and sequence stratigraphy: a key to investigate the relative importance of the allogenic and autogenic factors within the depositional sequences. SAPIENZA University of Rome.
- 2017-2021. Terraced systems and incised valleys: stratigraphic reconstructions and their implications for the evaluation of geohazards. Project at the Institute of Environmental Geology and Geoengineering, CNR.
- Since 2015 he has participated at the “Great Archaeological Excavations project: Abu Tbeirah - Excavations of SAPIENZA in southern Mesopotamia, SAPIENZA University of Rome.
- 2009-today: Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Mediterranean Earth Sciences, SAPIENZA University of Rome.
- 2009-today: Member of the Editorial Board of the journal "Geological Field Trip" of the Italian Geological Society.
- 1990-today: Reviewer for the following journals: American Association of Petroleum Bulletin; Bollettino della Società Geologica Italiana; Continental Shelf Research; Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science; Evolutionary Ecology Research; GeoActa; Geobios; Geologica Romana; Geological Society of America Bulletin; Journal of Mediterranean Earth Sciences; Journal of Sedimentary Research; Journal of African Earth Sciences; Marine Geology; Marine Petroleum Geology; Quaternary Science Reviews; Quaternary Research; Quaternary International; Rendiconti della Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei; Rivista Italiana di Paleontologia e Stratigrafia; Sedimentology; Sedimentary Geology; Geological Studies Camerti.
- Depositional Systems and Sequence Stratigraphy (I year, I semester of the Master’s Degree in Exploration Geology).
List of papers in Google Scholar https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=4b-TZp0AAAAJ&hl=it
Citations: 1302; h-index 21 (from Scopus May 2021).