His research activities focusses the evolution and biochronology of Neogene-Quaternary terrestrial ecosystems of the Old World, the systematics of carnivores and bovids, the study of the events of dispersal events of mammals and their relationships to climate changes that took place in the last 7 million years. He participated in many research projects in Italy and abroad (Sweden, Spain, France, UK, Germany).
He wrote three books and over 130 scientific publications on major national and international journals, as well as numerous presentations at conferences, posters and informative articles.
He has many years experience in the field of science in projects related to geology and paleontology in the broader context of the development of Cultural Heritage and the Environment (seminars, exhibitions, workshops, conferences), working with archaeological superintendence, science museums and local authorities.
Since 2015 is leading the excavations and the research activities at Grotta Romanelli (Salento, S Italy).
- 1989: Degree in Geological Sciences 110/110 cum laude
- 1992-94: PhD in Paleontological Sciences (Consortium Modena, Bologna, Firenze, Roma Sapienza universities)
- 1994-95: Master MUSIS Sapienza in Museology and Communication of Science
- 1995-96: Scholarship Enea-MUSIS
- 1997-1998: Post-doctoral fellowship in Paleontology, Sapienza
- 1999-2018: Assistant Professor, Sapienza University of Rome,
- 2018 – ongoing: Associate Professor, Sapienza University of Rome
- Neogene-Quaternary vertebrate evolution;
- Neogene-Quaternary biochronology;
- Homo-fauna interactions during the Quaternary;
- Virtual palaeontology;
- Museology and scientific dissemination.
Italy, Mediterranean, Old World, South America
- Director of MUST (Museo Universitario di Scienze della Terra), Sapienza
- Coordinator of the MSc course in Science of nature, Sapienza
- Board of Earth Science PhD School, Sapienza
- Member of the Outreach Commission of Faculty of Sciences MMFFNN of Sapienza
- Associate Researcher of IGAG CNR
- Councilor SPI
- Councilor AIQUA
- Committee XXI INQUA Congress in Rome 2023
SPI, Italian Paleontological Society
EAVP, European Association of Vertebrate Paleontologists
SGI, Italian Geological Society
IsIPU, Italian Institute of Human Paleontology
AIQUA, Italian Association of Quaternary studies
Active Research Project
- 2015 - today: Grandi Scavi Grotta Romanelli
- 2018 - today: Venosa Notarchirico (Potenza) (resp. M-H. Moncél, Paris)
- 2018 - today: Atella (Potenza) (resp. R. Rocca, Paris)
- 1999 - today: Reviewer for several international journal on paleontological and stratigraphical issues
- 2008 - today: Member of Editorial Board of Bollettino della Società Paleontologica Italiana.
List of papers in Google Scholar
Citations: 2403; h-index 25 (from Scopus July 2021).
Website of the Professor